Last Updated November 24, 2011
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. and its affiliates (“Algonquin”) are concerned with your privacy and want you to be familiar with how we collect, use and disclose information. This Privacy Statement describes Algonquin’s practices in connection with information that we collect through the Algonquin website (“Site”) from which you are accessing this Privacy Statement, as well as offline where notice is legally required. By providing Personal Information to Algonquin, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Statement.
Personal Information Algonquin Collects
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual, such as:
- Postal address (including billing and shipping addresses),
- Telephone or fax number,
- Email address.
Algonquin collects Personal Information when you participate in various opportunities that we provide, for example:
- When you register for subscriptions, or open communications through the Site,
- When you participate in a survey or other promotion,
- When you participate in a blog or forum,
- When we conduct market research, meet you at a trade show or other event.
We may combine Personal Information that we collect about you with Personal Information you provide to Algonquin through other sources, such as inquiries or marketing events. We will use the combined Personal Information in accordance with this Privacy Statement for as long as it is combined.
How We Use Personal Information
We may use Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you e-mail alerts.
- Send you important information regarding the Site, changes to Algonquin’s terms, conditions, and policies and/or other administrative information.
- Send you marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you, including information about trade shows.
- Allow you to communicate and interact with others through the Site (for example, through a blog, message board, messaging functionality, chat functionality, profile or other social media).
- Permit you to register and participate in forums and other events with Algonquin.
- Enable Algonquin business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, , enhancing Algonquin’s website, improving Algonquin’s services, developing marketing events, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of Algonquin’s promotional campaigns.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce Algonquin terms and conditions; (e) to protect Algonquin operations; (f) to protect Algonquin rights, privacy, safety or property, you or others; and (g) to allow Algonquin to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we might sustain.
How Personal Information is Disclosed
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- Within the Algonquin group of companies for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement.
- To Algonquin’s third party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, infrastructure provision, IT services, customer service, email delivery services, auditing services and other similar services to enable them to provide services.
- To third parties such as agents and distributers to facilitate the sale and distribution of Algonquin products and services which may include marketing communications.
- To identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through the Site.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce Algonquin terms and conditions; (e) to protect Algonquin operations; (f) to protect Algonquin rights, privacy, safety or property, you or others; and (g) to allow Algonquin to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- By you, when you participate in features on an Algonquin Site that provide the opportunity to interact with Algonquin and others (for example a blog, message board, messaging functionality, chat functionality, profile or other social media). When you use these features you should be aware that any information you submit, including your name, location and e-mail address, may be publicly available to others. We are not responsible for any information you choose to submit through these features and we strongly discourage you from disclosing any sensitive Personal Information (such as health or credit card information) through these features. If you use these features, your Personal Information may remain on the Site even after you cease use of the Site.
Non-Personal Information We Collect
“Non-Personal Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity, such as:
- Browser information,
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies,
- Demographic information and other information provided by you,
- Aggregated information.
How We Use and Disclose Non-Personal Information
Because Non-Personal Information does not personally identify you, we may use and disclose Non-Personal Information for any purpose. In some instances, we may combine Non-Personal Information with Personal Information (such as combining your name with your geographical location).
If we combine any Non-Personal Information with Personal Information, e.g., when we combine information you provide upon registration with Non-Personal Information to provide you with targeted personalized marketing, the combined information will be treated by Algonquin as Personal Information.
Your “IP Address” is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
How We Collect IP Addresses
An IP Address is identified and logged automatically in Algonquin server log files whenever a user visits the Site, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP Addresses is standard practice on the Internet and is done automatically by many web sites.
How Algonquin Uses and Discloses IP Addresses
Algonquin uses IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating Site usage levels, helping diagnose server problems, administering the Site and presenting content. We may also use and disclose IP Addresses for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information. Please note that we treat IP Addresses, server log files and related information as Non-Personal Information, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law.
Third Party Sites
This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any site to which the Site contains a link. The inclusion of a link on the Site does not imply endorsement of the linked site by Algonquin.
Algonquin uses reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information under Algonquin control. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with Algonquin is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with Algonquin has been compromised), please immediately notify Algonquin of the problem by contacting Algonquin in accordance with the “Contacting Algonquin” section below.
How you can access, change or suppress your Personal Information
If you would like to review, correct, update, suppress, delete or otherwise limit Algonquin use of your Personal Information that has been previously provided to Algonquin, you may contact Investor Relations at 905-465-4500.
In your request, please make clear what information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from an Algonquin database or otherwise let Algonquin know what limitations you would like to put on Algonquin’s use of your Personal Information. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
We will retain your Personal Information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement unless a longer retention period is required or allowed by law.
Use of Site by Children
Algonquin is committed to protecting the privacy needs of children and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities. Algonquin does not target the Site to children less than fourteen (14) years of age or knowingly collect information from children for the purpose of selling products or services
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or where we have engaged a service provider, and by using the Algonquin Site you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including to the United States, which may have different data protection rules than in your country.
Updates to this Privacy Statement
We may change this Privacy Statement. Please take a look at the “LAST UPDATED” legend at the top of this page to see when this Privacy Statement was last revised. Any changes to this Privacy Statement will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Statement on the Site. Your use of the Site following these changes means that you accept the revised Privacy Statement.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, please contact Algonquin at 905-465-4500, submit your comment or question via the contact us form, or please write to the following address:
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
2845 Bristol Circle